Thursday, August 25, 2011

goat grain : amount?

I've been doing some research for a book I'm writing on goats. I'm having trouble finding how much grain to feed a goat depending on it's size. all I can find is feeding the different breeds and feeding babies by it's size.
This has got me wondering how many people are searching for this. well i still haven't found the answer to my question, but I figured i could tell you all how much to feed the Nigerian Dwarves. I feed my goats 2 cups of pellet grain once a day. plus some supplements.
I have a two cup scoop. so you'd think that I'd feed my goats 3 scoops of grain right? Well, sort of. If my girls have been out side all day, eating plenty of grass, I only give them two and a half scoops (five cups as opposed to six). I feel that they don't need all that grain when they are not pregnant or producing milk- . All they do all day is eat and sleep! If they've been inside all day because of rain - or something of that sort - I give them the full 3 scoops because they haven't had grass and all that.
I will be feeding the 3 scoops every day when they are bred.
I thought this might help. If you have goats any way!

No comments:

Post a Comment